Do you find it challenging to corral a large group of people in order to make a decision or resolve an issue? I recently completed a conflict resolution session where there were many issues, personalities and passions at play. Below are the ground rules we used to guide our discussion.
- Stick to timeframes
- Ask Questions for clarification, not accusation
- Focus on the future
- Respect the past
- Check assumptions at the door
- Listen / Seek to understand…before responding
- Avoid Point – Counterpoint — Go for “interests” not just “positions,”
- Real or Not real? – Distinguish a real “rule” from a personal/group unspoken rule, expectation, hope, desire, etc.
- No side conversations, only one person talking at a time
- Let’s hear from everyone, don’t dominate
Let me know if these work for you and if you have other ground rules to achieve your meeting goals.
Take care, C2